After a new update, Epic Games has removed Fortnite cross-play for all Nintendo Switch players with PS4 and Xbox One. The new update will now allow Fortnite players to match with only the mobile versions of the game.
PS4 and Xbox One players can still play with each other but Nintendo Switch players will no longer play with PS4 or Xbox One players. Their matchmaking group has been set with the mobile devices which include both Android and iOS platforms. Xbox One and PS4 players both have been moved together in a single matchmaking group.
This is mentioned in the patch notes of the official game where it is mentioned that Xbox One and PS4 pools have been combined and Mobile and Switch pools have been combined together. The reason behind this move is to provide a better experience to both Mobile and Switch players.
Xbox One and PS4 players who opt out of this cross-play option will be restricted to only Creative and Playground modes. You can check out the official patch notes below.
Battle Royale Crossplay Matchmaking
- Combined Xbox One and PS4 pools.
- This requires you to opt-in to cross-play.
- Players opt-ing out are restricted to Creative Mode and Playgrounds.
- Combined Mobile and Switch pools.
- Before, Switch players were combined with Xbox One and PS4 cross-play parties.
- We expect an on-average better per-game experience for both Mobile and Switch players.
- Motivating factor is unlocking optimization potential allowing us to run more playlists during more hours of the day while supporting more data center locations. Please provide us with feedback on your experience!
According to Epic Games, this is the main reason behind the cross-play limiting between the three consoles. Another big reason behind this move could be the 30FPS lock on Nintendo Switch. Fortnite runs on 60FPS on PS4 and Xbox One which could provide an unfair advantage to them over Nintendo Switch players.
Currently Season 8 of Fortnite is in full swing. If you are struggling with completing the weekly challenges, check out the guides below.
Do you play Fortnite on Nintendo Switch? If yes, what are your thoughts on Epic Game’s decision to limit Nintendo Switch cross-play to mobile devices? Share with us in the comments section below.