Sony has confirmed that PlayStation 4 players can now change their names or PSN ID, starting later today. This process can be done from the PlayStation 4 console or on the PlayStation website.
The highly requested feature has been long time coming, as many PlayStation fans have been asking for this feature to change their user names. Sony officially announced feature last year in October, though provided no further details as to when it was actually coming. Now that the feature is coming out today, you can change your PlayStation Id according to your wishes.
The feature will be available today for people in the US, while those in the European regions can avail this feature when it launches tomorrow.
Sony has also said that you can change your ID as many times as you want. You can also revert then back to your old ones, and can do as many times as you want. The only catch is that the first name change is free, the next name changes are $9.99 ($4.99 for PS Plus members)
It is worth mentioning that people who are seeking to change their online PSN ID, might want to be cautious as Sony has warned that major issues can arise with a small portion of games. The issues include loss of saved game data, losing access to content and parts of games, applications not functioning properly both online and offline.
We do want to take this opportunity to clarify one point – as a result of the preview program, we’ve found an instance where a game did not fully support the feature, even though it was originally published after April 1, 2018, contrary to what we mentioned in our original announcement”, Sony writes. “All PS4 games originally published on or after April 1, 2018 have been developed to support the online ID change feature. However, since they have not all been specifically tested with the feature, we cannot guarantee that they will support it. For more details and information, we encourage you to refer to the list of tested games before making a change to your online ID. Do keep in mind that the large majority of most actively played PS4 games support the feature.
Sony has highlighted the following issues that can arise:
- Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
- You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
- Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
- You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
If you have made up your mind and are ready to change your PSN ID, here are the steps to change your PlayStation ID:
- Step 1: Go to Settings on your PS4
- Step 2: Select [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Profile] > [Online ID]
- Step 3: Enter a desired ID of your choice or choose from any of the suggestions
- Step 4: Follow the on screen prompts and complete the change.
Are you going to change your PSN ID? What do you think of the feature costing money for the next time you change the name? Is it fair for Sony to cash in on changing PSN IDs? Post your comments below.