Publisher Team17 and Polish video game developer Covenant.dev has announced a new BTS series ‘Into the Gord’ for their upcoming dark fantasy strategy game Gord. The new BTS series will explore the origins, design, and gameplay of the studio’s debut title. The first episode of the series is called ‘The Birth of Gord’ and it is now available that dives deep into the inspiration for the game with the Game Director and CEO of Covenant.dev, Stan Just. You can check it out below before we jump into additional details:
The first video details how the concept of Gord was born and how the idea came to the mind of Stan Just at his home while having a baby. Gord was born with inspirations from different titles such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. At the same time, the game director also wanted the game’s idea to be unique and different from all other titles which is why Slavic Mythology was chosen for Gord. It was also close to Stan’s own home as it brings with it power, blackness, and fleshiness which works really well with the overall theme of Gord.
Stan continues that the main problem for developing the game while using Slavic Mythology is that this is not easy and there are a lot of complications. The mythology is interpreted in many ways and is also not as well documented as some of the more commonly used mythologies such as Greek or Roman. For the game, the mythology has been simplified and organized in a way that it becomes easier to understand. This is what formed the foundation of Gord.
Team17 has also released the details of upcoming BTS series episodes of Gord however their release schedule is not known at this point. We have listed the details below for you:
- Episode 2 – Visual Design (coming soon) – From design to concept to game, join Lead Concept Artist Tomasz Larek for a journey through Gord’s art and design and discover what goes into creating the striking look for Covenant.dev’s punishing and foreboding world.
- Episode 3 – The Chronicle (coming soon) – Join Writer Anna Sokalska for an exploration of Gord’s story and deep lore, as well as the game’s unique take on Slavic mythology and dark fantasy.
- Episode 4 – The Villagers (coming soon) – Explore Gord’s distinctive combination of city building, community management, and psychological horror with Lead Designer Michał Nonas.
- Episode 5 – Enter the Gord (coming soon) – Delve into the gameplay of Gord and see what’s to come in Covenant.dev’s intricate offering of systems, quests, and upgrades.
Gord is a strategy game where you will lead the Tribe of the Dawn as they try to establish their new settlements and explore eerie forbidden lands. These forbidden lands are infested with horrific creatures and deities inspired by Slavic folklore You will expand your tribe’s gords by completing quests and fortifying the settlement to resist incoming invaders and survive.
Key features of Gord:
- Dark Fantasy Strategy: Lead the people of the Tribe of the Dawn and venture deep into forbidden lands in a lore-rich, dark fantasy, real-time strategy campaign
- Build and Survive: Grow your gord from humble settlement to formidable fortress while protecting your citizens from invading tribes, gruesome monsters, and mysterious powers that lurk within the surrounding woods
- Unique Sanity System: Keep a close eye on your townsfolk as everything from illness to hunger and the death of kin can have a devastating impact on their lives and well-being
- Hand-Crafted Quests: Take on a wide variety of quests and random encounters that will lead you deep into the wilderness to hunt legendary creatures, uncover ancient secrets, and vanquish deadly scourges
- Unleash Powerful Incantations: Unlock a variety of offensive and defensive spells to tip combat in your favor, each with custom animations
- Custom Scenarios with Procedurally Generated Levels: Take on an endless variety of challenges by creating your own scenarios. Customize your playthrough by picking a main objective, choosing your starting party, level size, number of resources, enemy types, raid intensities, and even the severity of the weather
A Steam page is now live and you can add Gord to your wishlist if you are interested in the game. Gord is slated for a 2023 release and additional details will be released as the game nears its release date.
What are your thoughts on Gord, the BTS series, and the first episode of the series? Let us know in the comments section below.