Developer EXPR Studios has announced the launch of the second expansion, Into the Dark, for its base-building survival game The Riftbreaker. Into the Dark brings a brand-new biome to The Riftbreaker along with new resources, new buildings, and new enemies for you to fight. The latest biome to arrive in The Riftbreaker is called Crystal Caverns and it is an expansive network of caves, corridors, and caverns that span for miles beneath the surface of Galatea 37. It means that to play the new expansion, you will be heading underground.
Check out the action-packed launch trailer for The Riftbreaker – Into The Dark below to see what you can expect in the new expansion:
The Riftbreaker – Into the Dark adds a brand-new branch of the Story Campaign which takes place in the Crystal Caverns. You will journey to the underground and establish a unique subterranean Outpost by excavating soft limestone rock and shaping the environment to suit your needs. The DLC also includes new research items, technologies, weapons, and defensive towers which will allow you to survive in the depths of Galatea 37. Into the Dark continues the story of the main game and takes it even further to the depths of the planet.
The main highlights of The Riftbreaker – Into the Dark include:
- Experience an exciting new branch of the Story Campaign taking place in the underground Crystal Caverns biome.
- Establish a unique subterranean Outpost by excavating soft limestone rock and shaping the environment to suit your needs,
- Expand your Campaign Mode technology tree by researching unique technologies that can only be acquired in this biome.
- Collect information on new creatures, vegetation, and other curiosities found only in this underground environment.
- Repel attacks from massive tunnel-digging beasts using new weapons and technology.
- Adapt your base-building methods to make the most of the terrain-shaping abilities and novel power-generation mechanics.
- Discover previously unknown details from Ashley’s past.
The Story portion of this Expansion is integrated with the Main Campaign from the base edition of The Riftbreaker. The new branch and the contents of the expansion will unlock as you progress through the game. If you have previously completed The Riftbreaker Story Campaign, you can continue your adventure where you left off. The additional part of the Story will unlock immediately, giving you the option to explore a new part of the world.
Since Into the Darkness is a paid DLC, players who do not want to invest money into the DLC yet can get the free World Expansion II update which includes a new Survival Mode scenario, which utilizes the cavern-digging mechanic. Using Mr. Rigg’s drilling arm, you can drill through or use explosives to clear out the space required for expansion. The update also includes new species of creatures, research items, weapons, and defensive towers. Major quality-of-life upgrades are also part of the latest update along with major improvements in the visual department of the game. The update brings volumetric lighting to the game as well which is useful in the underground sections of the game.
The major additions in the free World Expansion II update include:
- Crystal Caverns biome – an underground network of caves and caverns for you to explore.
- A new Survival Mode scenario taking place in the new biome.
- An entirely new cavern-digging mechanic. Use Mr. Riggs’ drilling arm or explosives to clear out the space you need for expansion.
- Multiple new species of creatures, unlike anything you’ve seen before. Fight hordes of fearsome monsters lurking around every corner.
- More than 70 new research items and technologies to further enhance your base and Mr. Riggs’ abilities. Use drones to collect resources and valuable loot. Expand your energy grid using the Energy Relay Stations.
- New weapons and defensive towers. Build powerful weapons that will obliterate anyone threatening your base. Slice through your enemies with Bouncing Blades. Send a devastating barrage of energy projectiles with the Laser Gatling Tower.
- Numerous quality-of-life improvements, including the long-awaited Building Ruins feature.
The Riftbreaker is currently on PC via Steam, Epic Games Store, GOG, and Windows Store where you can add the new expansion to your collection for just $9.99. The expansion is also slated to arrive on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles however the release date is not yet announced. Additional information about the new expansion and the DLC is available in the official patch notes.
Have you been playing The Riftbreaker and will you be looking forward to playing the new expansion Into the Dark? Let us know in the comments section below.