Publisher Team17 and developer Tributary Games have announced the release date of their medieval multiplayer party game King of the Castle. King of the Castle will release on Steam on 2nd March 2023. King of the Castle is set in a fictional fantasy medieval kingdom where players take up the mantle of Monarch or one of their Council of Nobles hailing from the game’s five unique regions.
As the game’s different storylines unfold, Monarch and Nobles alike will have to work together to navigate a bizarre world of power, fantasy, and political intrigue as they reckon with treacherous and often humorous consequences of steering the fate of a potentially unstable kingdom. To celebrate the release date announcement, Team17 has shared a new trailer of King of the Castle which you can check out below:
If you are a little confused about how this plays out, the main player is the host of the game who serves as the Monarch of the game. The Monarch works with their Council of Nobles who can join for free via Twitch or any web browser, to play through a series of storylines full of unique challenges. Some of these challenges have far-reaching consequences. At the start of each game, Nobles will be automatically assigned a unique homeland and as the story progresses, the Council will vote on key decisions.
The resulting impact and legitimacy of these votes are determined by the Monarch. All noble players with Twitch accounts can vote using their chat function to discuss the repercussions of their choices. They can also take on the role of usurper and plan uprisings against their ruler as well. Key features of King of the Castle include:
- Cooperative online multiplayer: Work together with friends or strangers, via Twitch or your web browser, to steer the fate of your kingdom, tackle unique challenges, and play a key part in its downfall or prosperity
- Write your story: Play through hundreds of unique medieval fantasy stories, each with their own characters, choices, and far-reaching consequences
- Give peace a chance… or not: As a Monarch, balance the competing demands of your Nobles while keeping an eye out for brewing political unrest or revolts
- Democracy manifest: Bribe, persuade or intimidate your way through difficult votes, or alter the law entirely to give yourself extra sway in the polls
- Customize your kingdom: Ensure your legacy upon the land by choosing your name, pronouns, appearance, and even your family crest
- Web browser mode: Gather a party of 4-21 people and play together with friends! Only King of the Castle game hosts need own a copy of the game, all others can join from their mobile device or web browser for free using a unique access code
King of the Castle is slated for release on March 2, 2023, and a Steam page for the game is now live. You can add it to your wishlist to remain updated or jump into the game when it launches in March.
Are you looking forward to playing King of the Castle? Let us know in the comments section below.