Publisher PlayWay and developer Crazy Rocks have revealed that their latest release Contraband Police has managed to sell over 250,000 copies in less than a month. Contraband Police was released on PC via Steam on March 8, 2023, and since its release, the title has managed to reach this massive milestone in such a short time. The game is currently trending on Steam as one of the most popular releases and the developer has released that the player base is constantly increasing thanks to its positive reception.
You can check out the release announcement trailer of Contraband Police below to get a small taste of what you can expect in the full game:
As detailed by the developer, Contraband Police took over six years to the development and it started with a small team of three developers. As development progressed on the game, the team was later expanded to five developers in the final stages. The dedication of all developers finally paid off and the game is currently sitting with over 4,000 reviews with an impressive 94% positive rating. The founder of Crazy Rocks studio, Stanisław Gromadowski is a violinist by education and he has previously worked on People Can Fly, CD Projekt Red, and CI Games.
He founded the studio in 2015 and the first release Street Warriors Online was a free-to-play title that gained popularity among players but it did not generate any significant income. Contraband Police is now breathing a new life into the studio and the studio is aiming for a fresh start. Stanisław Gromadowski recalls:
In 2017, our company was on the brink of bankruptcy. In order to continue making independent games, we approached PlayWay and together with an investor, we chose the theme for our future production. Initially, it was supposed to be a simple simulator of searching for contraband at the border, and we had planned to complete the game within a year.
We postponed the release date multiple times, but honestly speaking- after 3 years of work, I knew it was my life’s project. A production in which I can invest my many years of experience and create a unique game.
Contraband Police is a unique game where you play as a border control inspector in a communist country in the 1980s. Smuggling, corruption, and forgery have taken over and it is your goal to catch even the smallest violators. The local gang called Oberankov is loyal to superiors and following the right values is not in their favor they are not only desperate but they are ready for bloodshed as well. The smugglers will use tricky techniques to smuggle contraband over the border and you will use your intelligence and special tools to catch them. Apart from catching bad guys, you will also maintain your outpost and equipment and also upgrade them with the money earned because you will need everything you have to survive in pursuits and shootouts.
Key features of Contraband Police include:
- Rookie on duty – as a young cadet from an officer school, you are assigned to work at a border checkpoint in a remote region. Entry into the Acarist People’s Republic is strictly regulated by the party, so every move you make will be monitored.
- Papers, please – everyone must show valid documents. The absence of any signature or stamp equals the lack of permission to cross the border. Be careful not to be fooled by the tricks used by smugglers.
- What is in those boxes? – With the support of the intelligence, you will receive clues that will help you detect illegal cargo hidden in various places. A wide range of tools will allow you to identify prohibited contraband.
- Brutal extremity – during your work, you will come into contact with criminals who will stop at nothing. Your outpost is a constant target of attacks from the Oberankov gang, so you must be prepared for bloodshed.
- Police pursuits – cases can take an unexpected turn. Someone didn’t stop for an inspection? Jump into a squad car and start the chase. Don’t forget to maintain the vehicle in good condition, as it will make your job much easier.
- This is your land! – Upgrade and expand your outpost with the funds earned from doing a good job. Always be prepared to take sudden action or solve a criminal puzzle. Support your comrades and thwart the Blood Fist rebels.
Ever since its release, Contraband Police has managed to reach over 8,100 concurrent players and has been in the Steam Best Seller list for the past three weeks competing with different titles such as Sons of the Forest, Resident Evil 4, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. In terms of revenue, Contraband Police was ranked 5th among all games during its premiere week on Steam. If you are interested in trying out this unique policing game, you can check it out on Steam yourself as well. A free demo version is also available if you do not want to invest in it right away and want to give it a shot first.
What are your thoughts on Contraband Police and its huge success on Steam? Will it change your mind about trying out the game as well? Let us know in the comments section below.